Friday 22 February 2013

Last weekend........Part One

Hello!
Before  I start, I fear I may have got a little bit over excited about last weekend, I'm easily excited!

This is a story of joy and sadness.......

It all started when a few weeks ago, when I recieved a facebook message from a Primary 1 friend called Jonny. I haven't seen Jonny in years, only bumping into him a couple of times since we left school, but through the wonders of Facebook he'd seen that I love vintage stuff!

We had matching hair doos
28 years later
 His brother had just bought a house in the town where I grew up. Sadly the lady who owned the house has dementia and now lives in a home, her husband died and they had no family, the house was being sold to pay for her care. The house hadn't been occupied in over five years and was exactly the way the she had left it, frozen in time....
Jonny invited me down to see if there was anything I could make use of before it all went to be recycled, dumped or sold.
My sister and I made the trip....The house was something else! Acid yellow wood work and pink walls! 70's curtains and amazing vintage furniture. This lady and I could have shared style tips! By the time we arrived the clear up had begun, I'd have loved to have seen the house just as it was left.


We were shown which piles we could hunt through and I swear all my Christmases came at once!! Fabric, fabric and more fabric, OK, so it all stinks but I can wash it! This lady must have been a fabric hoarder (hangs ahead and looks shifty) she had packets of unopened curtains, tableclothes, sheets and bedspreads lots and lots of them!
By now Jonny is thinking my sister and I are totally mental, his mum is looking at us with great pity in her eyes......

After a good rummage we left, my car four bin bags heavier.....The fabric deserves a post of it's own, I'll take photos this weekend for part two...fabric photos!
I dumped the lot on the kitchen floor, that's not even half of it! It will all have to be washed but I'll wait until the better weather so I can get it out on the line.
After the afternoon in the house I couldn't stop thinking about the lady all this belonged to....What was she like? Why did she have so much fabric!? I couldn't help but feel bad that we'd been in this ladies house but I hope she'd be happy that her fabrics and trinkets have gone to a good home.

It was great to see Jonny again after all these years! Thank you SO MUCH for letting us rummage!! I have enough fabric to last a life time!
Phew.........
Tomorrow I'm having a haircut, I'm contemplating the big chop again, (weird It's almost a year to the day I had it all whacked off, must be a February thing)

And I called into the vets on the way home on the off chance they might have a kitten needing a new home!
They do! Our family might be growing! 5 month old Rodger, I've to call in again next week and talk to the vet, so we'll see >^^<

Have a brilliant weekend everyone xx

9 comments:

  1. Oh sister I have been so looking forward to this blog post. You will be kept busy for years to come. I think you should get your hair done the way it was 28years ago...you are too cute! :) ... Rodger rodger over and out ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm excited just reading this, I can only imagine how you felt! How wonderful for Jonny to think of you. That sideboard is fab and I'm hyperventilating over the fabric. Can't wait to see Roger - or the new hair do! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing Bob! I can't wait to see all the things you'll make from your new collection...from one hoarder to another! love the P.1 photo, so cute! yeaaa go for the chop, you suit it short! can't wait for part 2! and the new kitten!?!?!!class!x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow! How amazing was that house! How great your friend thought of you.
    Liz @ Shortbread & Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow you are busy with all of this magic. Have fun and beautiful blog xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh that sounds a rather good catch up with an old friend - can't wait to see what treasures you've found :)

    We had the most amazing donation to our CS from a family in a similar situation - its made our turnover for the past 8 months look amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. There is almost too much to say!
    The fabric is like a dream and I will be thinking about Roger. I do hope he is your new addition.
    Mary and Roger....I think a new blog could be in order??
    Emma xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amazing! What a great experience! Recently Barry's great Aunt passed away and we went for a rummage. I picked up some vintage pieces (I was also looked at by many with pity) but you look like you have really struck gold with this lady and her identical taste! Enjoy the fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, how wonderful to get so much fabric at once. Cant wait to see what you might do with some of it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for all your comments : )